I’m an Acquisitions and Development Editor at Fernwood Publishing. I also do freelance developmental and copy editing of non-fiction, fiction, and poetry.
Acquisitions editing refers to developing relationships with potential authors and their brilliant thinking. If you’ve got a book idea, send me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Developmental editing (or structural editing) deals with the overall structure and flow of the narrative, focusing on organization (reordering, cutting/elaborating). I’ve had the pleasure of working with authors on the following books.
Copy editing is line-by-line editing for flow of language, focusing on grammar, style, consistency, and accuracy. Book-length projects as well as articles benefit from this detailed editing; here are a few I’ve had the opportunity to work on.
- “Sincerity as Strategy: Green Movements and the Problem of Reconciling Deliberative and Instrumental Action” by Markus Holdo in Environmental Politics. March 2018.
- “The Virtuous, the Critical and the Trustworthy: Citizen Ideals and Forms of Democratic Participation” by Markus Holdo in Scandinavian Political Studies. December 2017.
- “A Nation of Feminist Arms Dealers? Canada and Military Exports” by Srdjan Vucetic in International Journal: Canada’s Journal of Global Policy Analysis. December 2017.
- “Exploring Guanxi in a Cross-Cultural Context: The Case of Cantonese-Speaking Chinese in Johannesburg” by Ying-Ying Tiffany Liu in Journal of Chinese Overseas. December 2017.
- “Cancer Jokes: Humour’s Role in Surviving Cancer Treatment in Argentina” by Rafael Wainer. Draft.
- “Add Female Veterans and Stir? A Feminist Perspective on Gendering Veterans Research” by Maya Eichler in Armed Forces & Society. Sage Publishing, January 2017.
- “Contesting the Colonial Logics of the International: Towards a relational global politics for the Pluriverse” by Cristina Rojas in International Political Sociology (2016) 10 (4): 369–382. Oxford University Press, November 2016.
Previous editing roles:
Essays Editor, Canadian Women in the Literary Arts
Senior Essays Editor, Jaggery: A DesiLit Arts and Literature Journal
Proofreader, The Leveller